Monday, September 2, 2013

First Day of School 2013

Trying on their new uniforms

First Day of Preschool

First time going to the same school

Happy boy playing outside on the school playground

First day for me too!


The boys and I had the same first day of school which was tough for me.  I really wanted to be there to take them or at the very least take their pictures in the morning.  Time really is flying though and I can't believe that next year at this time, Nolan and I will be going to school together!

The boys have really adjusted well.  They both really seem to like school.  Deric takes them each morning at 9:00.  There are still some tears in the morning, but I think it really helps that the boys are joined together after the preschool part ends at 2:00. We have been really excited about this school but always watching and making sure the boys are doing okay with it.  They have already made friends and have not asked once why the teachers are speaking in Spanish!?  When I come in the afternoons, I can see the teachers are so sweet and calm. Their abundance of non-verbal cues make it really easy to follow what they are saying.  The kids are happy and playing (speaking English with each other) and don't seem to notice.

On my meet the teacher night at my school, I was shocked to see Nolan's teacher, Mrs. Carolina, walk in.  It turns out that I will be teaching her son as she teaches mine.  I couldn't have asked for a sweeter teacher for Nolan. So sweet in fact, that I was quick to let her know that he does best with a kind but firm caregiver.  He likes boundaries and we support her 100%.  She learned this for herself days later when Nolan and his friend hid from her and did not earn a sticker on their chart.  Sigh....  Nolan told me in a very matter-of-fact tone that he just simply wasn't interested in a sticker on that particular day.  I find myself having to quiet the voice in my head that screams, "But you're a teacher's kid, you can't do that!!!"

And fifth grade is great.  I am so happy and love it so much!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know they'd be speaking Spanish the entire day, how impressive!! How funny that you're teaching Nolan's teacher's son, small world. Oh Nolan, love his little spirit!

    ReplyDelete